Northwest Medical Center is your community healthcare provider; a 300-bed facility with comprehensive inpatient and outpatient services including emergency care; heart and stroke care; weight-loss surgery; and spine and joint programs; among the 35-plus specialties offered here.
About Our Lab: Our full service Histology Lab performs IHC testing and bedside FNAs as well as routine histology services. We are currently reorganizing the department with a new IHC analyzer to be installed within weeks and a tissue tracking system implementation scheduled for early 2017.
Position title - HISTOLOGY TECHNOLOGIST
Position requisition number = 1653287
FT or PT or Per Diem – F/T Day Shift w Rotation if needed
Pay – Dependent on experience - $3,000.00 sign on bonus
Reports to: Jesus Andrade, Histology Supervisor
Job responsibilities: (See Below)
Requirements such as experience and/or certifications required:
Summary: Cuts, stains, mounts, and studies specimens of human tissue to provide data on functioning of tissues and organs, causes and/or progress of disease, following established standards and practices. Assists customers with information regarding laboratory testing in a pleasant and professional manner.
- Performs specimen triage handling procedures, and assists with gross room examinations when necessary.
- Performs routine tissue processing functions.
- Performs standard tissue embedding and microtomy techniques.
- Performs and understands both routine and cytologic preparation and staining procedures.
- Performs frozen section techniques, including cutting and staining.
- Performs and understands immunhistochemistry (IHC) and special stain techniques, and prepares all associated reagents/solutions.
- Performs routine maintenance on department instrumentation.
- Demonstrates adherence to biohazard procedures.
- Performs clerical and billing functions within the Pathology Department.
Education: High School diploma/GED preferred or equivalent experience required.
Experience: Training in the field of histology in a clinical setting.
Skills: Ability to read, communicate, and document effectively through oral, written, or electronic means. Medical terminology, computer experience, and excellent service skills. Demonstrates the constant ability to prioritize and respond promptly to a changing workload.
Licenses/Certifications: Preferred: Histology Technologist (ASCP) or registry eligible.
Contact information: April Altevers, Recruiter (520) 469-8843 /April.Altevers@northwestmedicalcenter.com